Career Services offers a number of resources as you prepare for internship, part-time, and full-time opportunities. Journalism students and alumni can use the following resources and tips when preparing for an interview:
- Use Optimal Interview from the comfort of your home or residence hall.
- Schedule a mock interview with Career Services.
- Create or upload a resume and cover letter in Optimal Resume.
- Research the company.
- Practice frequently asked questions.
- Be prepared to use specific examples.
- Check out our resources on appropriate dress.
- Arrive 15 minutes early.
- Take multiple copies of your resume to the interview.
- Prepare questions to ask the employer ahead of time.
- Avoid mentioning salary until an offer is made.
- Thank the employer for the opportunity and ask for a business card.
- Send a “thank you” note within 24 hours of the interview.
- Report job offers to Career Services.
Mock interviews are one of the best ways to prepare for interviews. The trained staff in Career Services is available to coach you through an interview specific to your field and assist you as you compete in the job market. Contact them today to schedule an appointment!
The University of Memphis
400 Wilder Tower
Memphis, TN 38152-3520
Monday – Friday
8:00 am – 4:30 pm