Leadership Memphis internships are non-paid, academic internships where students gain more than just work experience. They build connections between concepts from the classroom and real-world situations in the non-profit arena. We work with our interns to develop a signature project that helps them utilize and further develop key business skills, and can be completed within the time frame of their internship. This signature project gives them a tangible deliverable they can be proud of, and is a valuable addition to their resume.
Also, Leadership Memphis interns get to refine their professional ethics, professional values, and act as individual contributors on projects that have a positive impact on the community. Although students are not paid for their work, our internships are designed to ensure a valuable professional experience.
Interns work 10-20 hours per week during the fall or spring semester depending on the student’s schedule. At the beginning of the semester, interns will work with the assigned supervisors to come up with a schedule of days and times to constitute a standard schedule. Deviations can be made with notice.
Interns will be assigned a supervisor in a particular area – communications, development, programs, alumni engagement, etc.
Duties will vary by department but can include:
- Research and create email distribution and mailing lists
- Research and create media lists for active pitching
- Materials development (pitches, backgrounders, briefing documents)
- Media monitoring for our organization
- Social media monitoring and posting
- Selective media outreach
- Assist with annual signature events
- Attend our program classes to collect information from participants, and take photos
- Data entry (some sensitive information may require signing a memorandum of confidentiality)
- Answering the phone and making calls
- Assisting with copying, filing, and mailings
- Research on the internet or in publications
- Writing research summaries or compiling meeting minutes
- Setting up for and staffing meetings and events
- Verifying email addresses for e-newsletter distribution list
- Other duties as needed
The ideal candidate has the following skills/experience:
- A passion for community enhancement, engagement and empowerment
- Excellent writing skills
- Organizational acumen
- Great interpersonal skills
- A motivated self-starter
- A natural leader
- Background in journalism, public relations, marketing or business administration
- Curiosity for media, technology
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to Dewanna Lofton at firstname.lastname@example.org.