From the Office of Academic Internships:
As you may know, each semester part of your tuition and fees supports the Green Campus Initiative. The University of Memphis Sustainable Campus (Green) Fee Committee provides funding for approved proposals to make the University of Memphis campus more sustainable. President Raines has stated, “To address environmental challenges, we are becoming a leader in sustainable technologies and practices while acting as a model for the community.”
The Green Fee Committee has received a request for funding for undergraduate green internships for Fall 2012. Based on funding received, selected students will be provided the opportunity to work with a campus or community partner to enhance the student’s understanding of sustainability and to assist in the organization’s efforts to promote sustainability.
If you are interested in applying for a Fall 2012 Green Internship, please review the information below and contact Dixie Crase at email@example.com.
Fall 2012 Green Internships Program
What is a green internship?
A green internship is an educational/work experience sponsored by a campus unit or a community organization that promotes sustainability in areas such as:
- Energy efficiency
- Utility conservation
- Environmental protection
Who is eligible to apply for a green internship?
Undergraduate students who have:
· active status in the Student Support Services (SSS) Program are especially encouraged to apply.
All undergraduate students who meet the following criteria are invited to apply.
· minimum sophomore standing at time of application
· minimum 2.75 grade point average
· minimum of one or more regular semesters (fall/spring) remaining before graduation
What does a green internship require?
Students selected for a Fall 2012 Green Internship are required to:
- satisfactorily complete an approved internship learning contract
- Internship Course in Academic Major or
- UNIV 4000 – Community Internship
- earn 3 semester hours of academic internship credit
- work 150 clock hours during the semester
- present internship experience at Green Internships Recognition Event
What do selected green interns earn?
Interns earn a stipend of $10 per hour or $1500 for the semester plus $200 to assist with tuition costs for an academic internship for a total of $1700. Stipends of $425 will be distributed at the end of September, October, November, and December 2012.
Where do selected green interns work?
Students may apply to complete a green internship with the following types of campus or community partners:
- City and Regional Planning
- Editor (Communications)
- Ecological Research Center
- Ground Water Institute
- Student Health Services
- Sustainability Coordinator
- GrowMemphis (Mid-South Peace and Justice Center)
- Highland Area Renewal Corporation
- International Paper
- Keep Tennessee Beautiful
- Smith & Nephew
What types of activities do green interns perform?
- Advertising, Advocacy, Education, Fundraising, Marketing, Project Management, Public Relations, Research, Social Media, Special Events, and other appropriate activities
For more information, contact Dixie Crase at firstname.lastname@example.org.